Welcome to Pat's Art Blog

I intend to use this blog as an art diary to keep track of my readings, research, art exhibitions and art projects.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

KATHE KOLLWITZ, PRINTMAKER, 1867-1945

I had seen some work and heard a lot about Kathe Kollwitz under the heading of German Expressionism, so I decided to explore her work in some depth since I have the opportunity to use the fabulous library here in Largo. Also thought it would be interesting to pick up some new ideas on grounds etc in anticipation of doing some etching work after Christmas. What can I say?  I love her work, the draughtsmanship, the skill, the passion. I love that it is political, and humanist. The political is humanist. She lived through two World Wars lost her son and grandson, became a pacifist and 'evolutionary' rather than revolutionary. Books I have read are only terrific with fabulous inciteful informed commentary.


                                           War, leaf3: The Parents, 1923
                                            War, leaf2: The Volunteers,1922-1923
                                                   

1 comment: