Welcome to Pat's Art Blog

I intend to use this blog as an art diary to keep track of my readings, research, art exhibitions and art projects.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stones of Bray cont'd

Bray Head was once the world's top attraction for geologists and fossil hunters, with the discovery of what was thought to be the oldest ever fossil, believed to represent the "Origin of Life".

Oldhamia radiata, is a trace fossil, i.e. a sedimentary structure resulting from the biological activity of an ancient organism. The fossils were discovered on Bray Head in 1844 by Thomas Oldham (1816-1878), Director of the Geological Survey, after whom they were named.

 I am working on ways of  expressing aspects of geology such as Oldhamia through drawings and then etchings.  We will see where this leads me.

1 comment:

OR Melling said...

Hey m'dear. Been away from the PC for a while and just clicked this link. Wonderful work and great news on different fronts. I will blog you soon on my Bookmark Blog. Meanwhile, is your website up yet? You should link the blog to it, eh? Hope you are getting plenty of warmth and light where you are! We could do with some here.