Welcome to Pat's Art Blog

I intend to use this blog as an art diary to keep track of my readings, research, art exhibitions and art projects.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Stones of Bray

Have begun research on my new project tentatively under the umbrella of The Stones of Bray.
I am rereading The Stones of Bray written in 1913 by Canon George Scott (Repr. 1984) and also
Place, Art, and Self  by Yi-Fu Tuan (2004) to anchor myself in the relationship between geology (place) and art.
At the moment I am taking a broad view at all aspects of stones, rocks, natural and manmade in the vicinity of the Town of Bray, Co. Wicklow.  I will consider monuments, crosses, walls, as well as natural geology.
My first step is making drawings of some stones taken from Naylor's Cove, at the foot of Bray Head.  and also garnering some information/pictures on the discovery of the fossil Oldhamia, discovered by Thomas Oldham in 1844.
Taking the time to make the drawings is a start, a beginning, a direction, a lead in.

No comments: